Supporting Clinical Services
Occupational therapists (OTs) help people to do the everyday activities that they want and need to do when faced with illness, injury, disability or challenging life events.
The Occupational Therapy team at UHK works closely with the UHK multidisciplinary team, patients and their carers to provide comprehensive assessment, rehabilitation and discharge planning for patients.
We strive to provide tailored programmes aimed at:
- Increasing independence with activities of daily living (ADL) including functional bed/ chair/ toilet/ car transfers, personal care routines and meal preparation
- Maximising functional seating & positioning. Following comprehensive assessment the prescription & provision of wheelchairs and specialised seating systems for in-patients can be facilitated. We have access to specialised seating and pressure care systems while in hospital which can be prescribed by an OT following a comprehensive seating assessment.
- Safe discharge preparation. Assessment for & prescription of adaptive equipment. Equipment may be prescribed for patients to facilitate a safe and sustainable discharge home such as toilet, showering or transfer aids.
- Cognitive rehabilitation for maximising cognitive function
- Upper limb rehabilitation to maximise upper limb function
- Education and advice to patients and families/ caregivers in order for patients to maximise their functional potential on discharge
Frailty Intervention Therapy Team (FITT)
Our FITT OT focuses on admission avoidance and frailty prevention/reversal, linking the patient and their carers with available community supports and services to continue to live well at home.
Our Palliative Care OTs provide individual interventions to in-patients and out-patients. They are concerned with maximising the patients’ ability to carry out daily activities as independently as they wish or need to and enhancing his/her quality of life.
Each patient has different needs or priorities e.g. goals may vary from maximising independence in ADL’s, maximising and maintaining independence in the home assisting with symptom management such as relaxation, or meditation, maintaining engagement in chosen leisure pursuits or supporting discharges home.
The Orthopaedic out-patient OT Service provides splinting and hand therapy to patients referred from the orthopaedic out-patient department in UHK
We have comprehensive links with our colleagues in the integrated care & community services in Kerry, assisting us to refer and signpost patients and their carers for follow services, once they are discharged from the acute service.
Clinical Placements are offered to Students Studying Occupational Therapy in University College Cork.
We in the Occupational Therapy Department, UHK provide services to:
- All acute in-patient wards for both medicine & surgery
- Orthopaedic in-patients & out-patients
- Frailty Intervention Team (FITT) in the Emergency Department (ED)
- Stroke rehabilitation – including Dinish Acute Stroke Unit (ASU) and Ardagh Rehabilitation Ward
- Specialist Palliative Care in-patients and out-patients
- Cardiac rehabilitation out-patient service
- Off Site Clinical Governance is provided to:
- Tralee Community Nursing Unit (TCNU)
- Rehabilitation Unit Killarney Community Hospital
- Kerry Integrated Care for Older Persons
- Kerry Early Supported Discharge Service
- Kerry Memory Technology Resource Room
- Kerry Stroke Day Service
Tel: (066) 7184081
Patricia Kennelly, Occupational Therapist Manager