Oncology Unit Update
University Hospital Kerry Celebrates Milestone in the Development of State-of-the-Art Oncology Unit
University Hospital Kerry (UHK) is delighted to announce a major stride in the establishment of its cutting-edge permanent Oncology Unit with the submission of the Stage 1 building design. This achievement signifies a crucial advancement in the journey towards the realisation of a state-of-the-art facility dedicated to cancer care. As we move forward, UHK remains committed to keeping the community informed and engaged throughout the development stages of this vital healthcare project, and other significant projects, through our website www.uhk.ie
While the full design and then construction of the stand-alone Oncology Unit will unfold over the coming years, this Stage 1 design stands as a pivotal moment, showcasing the commitment of UHK to advancing cancer treatment in the region. In 2022, the Health Service Executive (HSE) formally granted approval to proceed, confirming the €17 million oncology Unit project [2.2m of which has been dedicated to interim oncology unit], highlighting the significance and urgency of enhancing cancer care services in the community.
UHK’s permanent Oncology Unit is envisioned to be a comprehensive facility, catering to various aspects of cancer care. Features of the unit will include:
- New Outpatient Unit: Tailored to enhance patient experience and streamline outpatient services.
- Dedicated Chemotherapy Suites: Providing a specialised environment for administering advanced cancer treatments.
- Isolation Facilities: Ensuring the highest standards of infection control and patient safety.
- Compounding Unit (Drug Preparation): Equipped for the meticulous preparation of medications tailored to individual patient needs.
- Spacious Clinical Areas: Designed to create a comfortable and efficient setting for medical professionals and patients alike.
- Dedicated Car Parking: Addressing the practical needs of patients and their families during challenging times.
- Teaching and Research Facilities: A commitment to advancing knowledge and fostering continuous improvement in cancer care.
- Counseling and Support Rooms: Recognizing the importance of emotional and psychological well-being in the healing process.
- Treatment Rooms for Allied Health Professionals: Providing space for comprehensive, multidisciplinary care.
The new Oncology Unit at UHK will not only a beacon of hope for patients and their families but also a testament to the hospital’s dedication to delivering the highest standards of cancer care. This milestone underscores the collaborative effort between UHK, the HSE, Comfort for Chemo Kerry and the broader community to ensure that the people of Kerry have access to world-class oncology services.
This also marks a significant step forward in our mission to provide exceptional care, support, and hope to those facing the challenges of cancer.
About University Hospital Kerry
University Hospital Kerry is a leading healthcare facility committed to delivering high-quality medical services to the community. The hospital is dedicated to continuous improvement, innovation, and compassionate care, ensuring the well-being of patients across various medical specialties.